I need to meet what guidelines to live in Brazil???
Moving to Brazil is easy, as long as you follow all the necessary steps and have your papers in order. There are currently 6 ways in which foreigners can obtain Brazilian permanent residency. You will have a good chance of obtaining one if you:
- have a high level position in a professional business corporation
- are a foreigner who intends to remain permanently in Brazil and contribute foreign funds in productive activities
- are a researcher or high level specialist in scientific field
- are a retired foreigner who will transfer at least $R6,000 per month
- are married to a Brazilian national
- have Brazilian offspring
Including the specific documents required by whichever path you take to obtain residency, there are a host of other documents that need to be obtained and presented to the Brazilian government. These documents include, but are not limited to, a foreigner’s identity card, a work permit, tax permit and a registration number. Many people will hire specialized consultants to streamline the lengthy and rigorous application process. These consultants are known as Despachantes, and may cost upwards of USD$2,000, but are well worth the money.
Here are more details on the first 4 paths to obtain permanent residency and what each entails:
- A high level position in a professional business corporationYou will need your company to prove that it has total foreign capital investment of at least $R600,000, or in lieu of that, show an investment of $R150,000 and attest to the employment of 10 Brazilians in the next two years.
- A foreigner who intends to remain permanently in Brazil and contribute foreign funds in productive activitiesInvest a minimum of $R150,000 into a productive activity in Brazil. This visa is issued conditionally for 3 years.
- A researcher or high level specialist in scientific fieldProvide a document from the Brazilian research institution declaring their interest in your services, plus your curriculum vitae that includes relevant academic references and diplomas.
- Retired foreigner who will transfer at least $R6,000 per month
Include proof of income of at least USD$2,000 per month, plus an additional USD$1,000 for each of any 3+ dependents. Also include a statement from the agency responsible for paying the retirement pension, and a statement from a bank authorizing the monthly transfer of at least USD$2,000.
With proper documentation and help, obtaining permanent residency can be a breeze, and it is your first step to becoming a Brazilian national citizen!